Google is the search engine most used to look for and find everything that interests us; therefore Google Images is probably the most used tool for search images precisely, on Google. Images of any website – if indexed – are shown to us according to the keyword used, and doing a search is really very simple.
But is Google Images Only This? Is it just a simple tool, as it may seem from a first point of view? But above all: can Google Images images be stolen so, without any problem?
In fact, Google Images is a very powerful tool, more than it may seem: it’s not limited to searching through the Image section found on Google’s home page, we can search for images even on any page or website but also through a image on our PC or Android Smartphone , the important thing is to have an image! Google will do the rest. Additionally, you can set up different filters, make advanced searches to find the image you want, the exact size, even without copyright, and so on.
In this article, we will try to find out all the features of Google Images and we’ll see how to look and find similar images on multiple devices.
Google Images: Advanced Search
Suppose you have to look for any image: just enter the exact keyword, for example dog and click Search; in an instant we will be shown thousands – or even millions – of images. This is just because google shows us images of all websites with the same keyword – or keyword.
In the first line, images with the same keyword, associated with a second keyword, are collected.
Great, I pick the picture for me, download and use as I want, so I found it on Google! No. Many photos on Google are subject to copyright, which is automatically applied to the publication of an image, which means that we can not take any pictures and do what we want but there is a great filter that only displays marked images to be re-used . But not only, we can filter them by size, color, date, extension, and so on. If that does not suffice, there is even a page dedicated to advanced search on Google Images to create an ad hoc search for the searched word.
How to set up a filter on Google Images
Setting up a filter is by no means complicated and, depending on your needs, it may be enough to set up a quick filter, which is immediately below the search bar; exactly with the Search Tools button. Let’s go for order …
- Dimensions: As we understand from the name, here we will be able to choose a filter of images that we will see: we can let go of Google and simply set large, medium size or icons, select the resolution, or set the exact dimensions in pixels!
- Color: Useful tool to search images based on a color from those offered by Google, black and white or transparent – usually images with png extension, that is, transparent background.
- Type: This tool helps us to do research to show only: faces; photo; clip art; animation pictures or pictures (gifs)
- Now: Useful filters to search for newer images: We can set the upload interval of the image over the Internet or simply view the images uploaded in the last 24 hours or the last week.
- Usage Rights: With this filter, if set properly, we can take the picture and do what we want! By default, images are not filtered, we see how to filter them and the meaning of each filter.
- Marked for non-commercial reuse: We can take the image as it is , use it for websites and anything else, without modification or use it for commercial use.
- Marked for non-commercial use with modifications: As above, but we can change how the picture looks like.
- Marked for reuse: We can not change the image chosen, but can also be used for commercial purposes
- Marked for reuse with changes: With this filter set, we can make the picture what we prefer.
- Other tools: Nothing special, an option to show the exact dimensions of the images shown in the search.
Obviously, every filter will exclude all images that have nothing to do with the filter selected, and consequently setting multiple filters will exclude more images!
In the upper right there are two more buttons: the Safe Search filter and a gear.
The first one has one option: Filters explicit results that are useful enough to not show any content intended for an adult audience. In the second button, however, we find Advanced Search in the various items, at the moment it is the only one that interests us. By clicking on it, we will go to a page like this
In this screen we find more or less the filters we’ve seen before but we can further refine our image search. In the first part we have the possibility to search one or more words, exclude some (with the sign “-” as shown in the suggestions) or look for whole sentences.
In the second part we can then set more filters, such as the format, site and country of origin of the image, in addition to the filters seen before. The drop-down menu in the right usage right has voices other than those described above but with the same meaning.
Searching on Google Images … through images
As I have already mentioned, with Google Images we can also look similar images to other images. For example, if we have a picture on our PC or if we find an image on a web site or social network, and want more information or simply find them, we can do a search right through the image! No keyword is required, indeed Google will propose one, or more, keywords associated with the searched image.
Searching by Image from PC
Looking through images on the Computer is very simple. In the Google search bar, in the end, we find the symbol of a camera. Just click this button and we’ll see two options: the first one to enter the image URL, or the link. You can get it by right-clicking on the image and then clicking on Get URL or Copy Image Address depending on your browser. The second option instead lets you choose a file physically present on our PC. But we can simplify the task by dragging the image directly into the browser.
Browsing by Image Browser
An immediate solution can be achieved on browsers such as Firefox and Chrome for which there is an extension that adds an entry in the right-hand drop-down menu: Search Google with this image.
Once the extension is installed, just click on the image and select that item; the search will start automatically in a new tab.
Did you know these tricks? Do you know other methods? Let us know with a comment!