To many people, every URL is a website. The truth is that most of them are not websites, but web applications (or web apps). This can be even more confusing because both apps and websites require access to the internet and run in browsers. Yet the difference between the two is crucial.
There are two primary reasons why you should grasp the difference between the two resources.
- It is important to vividly understand the difference between a website and a web app when seeking online solutions for your business from a development agency. For example, does your new business need web pages or a web app to take its operations online?
- If you intend to use software for a long and intend to progressively improve it, you should know how to go about it in the case of a web page or app.
This post digs deeper into the two resources to demonstrate the strategies used for their development, tools, tactics for data acquisition, and programming languages.
These are static pages on the internet that are not very functional. Their primary purpose is providing visitors (or end-users) with the information they request. This means that a user visiting the business online does nothing apart from grasping the information, including viewing photos and viewing videos, provided there. Great examples are recipes and news web pages.
The primary thing about web pages is that visitors do not interact with them. Think of a situation when a visitor goes to a news website and selects the preferred section to read. The user does not put in any info. Although new web designs are allowing users to leave comments.
Building a website is a good solution for small and medium-sized projects. For example, if you own an essay writing service, a website would be enough for your target audience to easily and comfortably use you services. With modern technologies, you can even build in additional features like online calculator and it would still work fine – https://essaypro.com/write-my-essay.html. On the other hand, comprehensive projects do not always work out well with this solution. As an example, online stores and marketplaces have too much data and functionalities so they are better to be delivered as apps.
A web app, unlike a website, is an interactive page. This means that visitors can get, add, and manipulate data to facilitate interactions. Web application software is run using tight connections with servers and makes numerous requests because data is being fed from the app owner’s back end and visitor’s front end simultaneously. One example, of a web app, is Google Docs that allows both Google and the user to add and manipulate data.
Professionals Who Support Website or Web Apps
Though the career of these kinds of web development experts may start at the same point, people specialize in different areas later. Most professionals who support sites help to provide information that visitors seek when they place inquiries. For example, SEO experts create content that helps business pages get found and ranked at the top of pages of search engine result pages (SERPs). Other professionals who support websites include web content managers and software engineers.
In the case of web apps, experts who support it are mainly focused on facilitating the interaction between the app and the user. For example, app developers create the platforms and customize how information is exchanged between the user, app and the app owner. Other experts who support web apps include system analysts and system engineers.
Specific Purposes of Websites and Web Apps
When a business creates web pages, the primary aim is to provide information to potential clients. However, this objective can vary depending on the nature of the business under consideration. Here are some specific purposes of various websites:
- Entertainment web pages: These are used to showcase entertaining content such as movies, sports, celebrity news, and arts.
- E-commerce sites: These are used to showcase and sell products. A good example is Amazon.
- Social media sites: These pages are used to help people connect and share with friends, family, and strangers.
Web apps are programs accessed through browsers such as Firefox and Chrome and can provide a wide range of functionalities. Here are some of these purposes:
- Product catalogs.
- Project management tools.
- Search engines
- Email communication.
Strategies for Website and Web App Development
Web development without a clear strategy is a recipe for failure. For a brand that targets to make an impact on the market, it is important to start with a clear strategy in order to easily achieve your goals.
Website Development Strategies
The aim of these strategies is ensuring that the platform will be impressive and will help to support business growth by availing the right information to visitors.
- Target Responsive Web Designs: Toda, any web developer appreciates that a website that is only accessible via desktops is bound to fail. Therefore, a good strategy should focus on making the platform accessible from multiple platforms including mobiles, tablets, and notebooks
- Software Prototyping: Today, customers only have very limited time to make a decision whether to dig further into a specific website or not. No matter what you are offering, the web page has to be precise and interesting. The prototyping strategy is a process of re-evaluating how the web pages will look like and if it will deliver the anticipated functionalities.
- Identifying the Target Audience: In web development, you need to complete a detailed profile of the target audience. This means establishing their attitudes, expectations, perceptions and buying sentiments so that your websites syncs well with them. The ultimate goal is ensuring to win the target audience.
Web App Development Strategies
When developing web apps, the main goal is promoting access and functionality. Here are some of the main strategies to follow when developing web apps.
- Multiple browser compatibility: When you work on a mobile app, the goal should be ensuring that it can be accessed via multiple browsers. For example, can it be accessed via Firefox, Chrome, and Safar among other browsers?
- Creating functional features summary: Before you can commence with the app development, it is prudent to have a clear outlook of how it will look like once complete. This means identifying all the features and landscape of the app.
- Application security: For your app to be effective, it needs to be very secure. This means protecting it using advanced technology such as encryption to make it hard for hackers to break into the system.
Tools for Validating and Saving Website and Web App
Before launching your web pages or web app, it is important to check and test its features to ensure that they are working as anticipated. To do this, you need to validate it by testing HTML errors, CSS Error, and WAP errors.
Here are some of the tools that are used for saving and validating websites and web apps:
Tools for Validating and Saving Website
- CSS Validator: This tool helps to check (X)HTML documents and cascading style sheets (CSS). The most crucial thing is that if you target to validate the website’s CSS sheet that is embedded on an (X)HTML document, the goal should be ensuring that the X(HTML) is valid.
- Feed: This is a W3C Feed Validation Service that helps to check the website syntax of RSS feeds. It can be validated via URL or direct input.
- Robots Checker: This is another great tool for validating the website’s Robots.txt file. Though the tool might show the number of exclusion of your pages as errors, it is a great way to establish if the commands are going to be misinterpreted when the website is finally published. This tool is very simple yet highly effective.
Other useful web pages validation and saving tools that you should know about include XML Well Checker and Validator, Dr. Watson’s Site Validation Check, and URL Checker.
Tools for Validating and Saving Website Apps
Like websites, web apps also need thorough testing and saving before they can be published. Here are the main tools to consider for the tasks:
- Webload: This is an enterprise-scale load testing tool designed with impressive scripting capabilities. The tool helps to comprehensively analyze web apps’ performance and noting issues that can stand on the way of smooth operation.
- TestComplete: This is an automated testing tool that allows people to run tests on any web apps that contain dynamic pages and custom controls. The good thing with this tool is that you are allowed to select more than 50,000 object properties in more than 500 control types.
Data Acquisition Techniques
When you visit a website or web app to find out a specific thing, perhaps one question that should run through the mind is; “Where does it get this data from?” Here are some of the methods used for data acquisition:
- Manual Data Acquisition: This method involves creating data from scratch and adding to the business database. For example, if you are an expert in a specific area and have been doing studies for the business, that data can be added to become part of the site resource. A business owner can also use staff to run surveys to gather data for the website. Because this method is manual and involves a lot of work, most websites do not prefer it. Instead, they prefer outsourcing.
- Outsourcing/ crowdsourcing: Today, many research firms that deal with data have entered the market to help website owners get refined data for their platforms. For example, Amazon Mechanical Turk offers websites with a way to generate data using its wide network of a global workforce. One example of a website that used this method is VocalIO. The firm used Amazon’s Mechanical Turk for feeding digital assistants with millions of queries. The main condition for this method is that the task at hand should be easy to explain.
- Collaborating with Multinationals: If your company and its website are new, it is possible to access huge and relevant client data by working with multinationals that have been in the business for more years. This method involves using advanced data learning algorithm after a startup enters into a sort of agreement on data sharing.
Web Development Tools and Programming Languages
Web development is a complex process comprising of multiple actions such as programming and content development. The programming language used in web design can be categorized into two things; syntax and semantics. The syntax is the form while the semantic is the form. Every programming language is unique though there are some that share some specific documents.
Website Development Tools and Programming Languages
This is another popular programming language for web development. It is a class-based and object-oriented programming language that was designed in the 1990s by Sun Microsystems. This makes it one of the oldest programming languages.
The language is designed in a way that it operates on different platforms. This implies that if you are running a program that is written using Java in Mac, it can also be used on Window based operating systems.
Python is another advanced all-purpose programming language. This means that it can be used to write as well as run codes without requiring a compiler. The Python language design was engineered in a way that it supports code readability. Its syntax comprises only a few lines of codes used to express an idea/point.
Other top-rated web development languages include CSS (cascading style sheets), PHP (hypertext processor), Ruby and C++.
Website app Development Tools and Programming Languages
- AngularJS: This programming framework allows you to extend HTML vocabulary to a web app. Though it is a complete framework, its lightweight nature makes developers refer to it as a library.
- net: This is a free and fully supported web app creation framework that helps designers to craft standard-based web apps.
- Laravel: This is another PHP web development framework for building apps on mobile-view-controller (MVC) pattern.
Other programming languages you can use to create apps include Phalcon, Symphony, Meteor, Express, and CodeIgniter.
If you have a business and want to increase its reach, traffic, ranking, and sales, it is important to intensify its web presence. This involves using a website and web apps. Unlike the conventional business models that limit business within a specific geo area, web development helps to take it global. However, it is prudent to ensure you get the difference between a website and a web app.
Though a website is crucial and you need to have it, web apps are more popular because they provide businesses with greater versatility. This is because you can extend the app’s functionalities to enhance every aspect of the business. For example, unlike a website that only helps to carry information to clients, apps can be used in business catalogs, project management tools, and search engines among other tasks.
Note that to get more from a web app; it is prudent to have a clear strategy from the beginning. This involves working with a top-notch web app developer who can help you with crafting a strategy that works. For example, you need to understand the targeted audience, the competitors, and the methods of gathering data. Besides, the web has to be properly tested and validated before launch.
With a properly designed and managed web app, you can never go wrong.