The dark mode is a popular design trend that is quickly making its way across all of our mobile apps. The option makes it easier to read content in darker rooms, can prevent eyestrain, and can even conserve battery life. If you are a regular Snapchat user, you may be wondering how to enable dark mode on your mobile device. This article details all the steps for you, whether you are using the Android or iOS app.
How to activate dark mode on Snapchat for iOS
On Snapchat for iOS, turning on dark mode is pretty straightforward. However, keep in mind that the feature was recently added, so it may not be available to everyone.
- Open your Snapchat application on your iOS device.
- Tap your avatar in the upper right corner.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper left corner to access Settings.
- How to activate Snapchat’s Ios settings in dark mode
- In the “My Account” section, scroll down until you reach “Application Appearance”.
- Touch it and select “Always dark”.
- That’s it, your Snapchat is now blackened. Enjoy browsing!
On Android, activating dark mode for Snapchat is much more complicated than simply modifying a setting. The app has yet to receive an official update adding the native dark mode. It will happen eventually, but while we wait for that, there really aren’t many alternatives to get dark mode on Snapchat for Android.
Some time ago, it was possible to darken your Snapchat experience on Android simply by forcing a system-wide dark mode through your device’s developer options. Alternatively, you can install an app like DarQ to force dark mode on individual apps. Neither method works with the latest versions of Snapchat.
If you are currently looking to experience dark mode on Snapchat, your only option is to install an older version of the app. It seems that version 10.72.5.0 is the last one that allows you to force the application into dark mode. It dates back to December 2019.
Before proceeding, keep in mind that you will need to download this older iteration of Snapchat in APK format. Just keep in mind that using an outdated version of the app means that you won’t be able to access the newer features that have come to the app since then.
If you decide that you want to try and use this method, the first step is to activate the dark mode on your device. You can do this by following the instructions below:
- Open the Settings application on your device.
- Go to Display.
- Activate the “Dark theme” option.
- Next, make sure developer mode is on. To do so, go back to the Settings app on your device.
- Navigate to “About phone” and touch it.
- Locate the “Build Button” section/option and tap it seven times to unlock Developer Options.
- Now go back to the main Settings screen and tap on System.
- Touch Advanced (if you are on a Pixel). It may not be necessary on other devices.
- Select Developer Options.
- Tap the magnifying glass at the top and search for ‘dark’.
- Select the “Override Force Dark” option and touch it.
- Activate the option.
- Open your Snapchat application again. You should be able to start browsing the app in dark mode.
How To Activate Snapchat Android Force Snapchat Dark Mode
Since the iOS dark mode for Snapchat is only a few months old, Android users may still have something to do before they can enjoy the dark theme natively on Snapchat as well. Hopefully it won’t take long.